Took her 2 sticks and about 25 minutes to in her words "poke them rolly little suckers"
Why you might ask was I at the ER getting an IV put in ?
1. I am into self torture
2. I was a guinea pig for a nursing class
3. Didn't have anything better to do
4. Was hoping I would see some of the funny shit that Candice sees in the ER where she works.
5. I was having some lingering chest discomfort and had scared my self into getting it checked.
If you picked 5 you are correct.
So I spent 4 1/2 hours at the hospital to find out that I have a pulled muscle in my chest. Now I know lugging my enormous hooters around is hard on the body but I really don't think that's my problem. But try telling the Er Dr that.
He ordered an EKG and chest xrays. Then we had words because I wouldn't allow them to just dose me up on pain meds "til it passes". I told the nurse when she asked about meds that I am not a meds taker. Especially if I can get along without them.
I also explained to the Dr that I have a problem with food getting hung in my esophagus a lot. Even water wants to pull some hang time in my pipe and that I wondered if that was the source of the discomfort. Perhaps a tear or some such. His thoughts on that were that I needed to have a scope done. No not here today make an appointment with a specialist so that they can send me back to the hospital to have it done.
I also asked if since they had drawn a bathtubs worth of blood from me if they could check my serum ferritin. I have a history of really elevated serum ferritin (most peoples is around 200 mines like 2200 I have seen a specialist for it and he wants me to just keep a check on it)
The Dr's response to that request.
"We don't do that here"
WTF ?
is this not a hospital ?
Anyway after he sends the nurse in twice to shoot me up with not 1 but 3 pain meds I tell them I have had enough and I am outta there.
Dr Wonderful says that's fine he can send me home with some pain meds ?
Again WTF ?
So I sit and wait for someone to come unhook me. By this point I was pissed. So I started unhooking stuff myself to see if anyone would come check on me. First I ditched the BP cuff, then the O2 sensor, then the heart monitor. And finally I pulled my IV line out taped up my arm put on my clothes and walked to the nurses desk.
I signed my discharge stuff and left.
Absolutely no better than when I got there.
Worse maybe cause when I got there all that hurt was my chest.
Now my arm hurts too.
Perhaps I am just an asshole, but maybe I would just like my health care provider to hear what I am saying and not just push drugs on me "until it passes"
1. I am into self torture
2. I was a guinea pig for a nursing class
3. Didn't have anything better to do
4. Was hoping I would see some of the funny shit that Candice sees in the ER where she works.
5. I was having some lingering chest discomfort and had scared my self into getting it checked.
If you picked 5 you are correct.
So I spent 4 1/2 hours at the hospital to find out that I have a pulled muscle in my chest. Now I know lugging my enormous hooters around is hard on the body but I really don't think that's my problem. But try telling the Er Dr that.
He ordered an EKG and chest xrays. Then we had words because I wouldn't allow them to just dose me up on pain meds "til it passes". I told the nurse when she asked about meds that I am not a meds taker. Especially if I can get along without them.
I also explained to the Dr that I have a problem with food getting hung in my esophagus a lot. Even water wants to pull some hang time in my pipe and that I wondered if that was the source of the discomfort. Perhaps a tear or some such. His thoughts on that were that I needed to have a scope done. No not here today make an appointment with a specialist so that they can send me back to the hospital to have it done.
I also asked if since they had drawn a bathtubs worth of blood from me if they could check my serum ferritin. I have a history of really elevated serum ferritin (most peoples is around 200 mines like 2200 I have seen a specialist for it and he wants me to just keep a check on it)
The Dr's response to that request.
"We don't do that here"
WTF ?
is this not a hospital ?
Anyway after he sends the nurse in twice to shoot me up with not 1 but 3 pain meds I tell them I have had enough and I am outta there.
Dr Wonderful says that's fine he can send me home with some pain meds ?
Again WTF ?
So I sit and wait for someone to come unhook me. By this point I was pissed. So I started unhooking stuff myself to see if anyone would come check on me. First I ditched the BP cuff, then the O2 sensor, then the heart monitor. And finally I pulled my IV line out taped up my arm put on my clothes and walked to the nurses desk.
I signed my discharge stuff and left.
Absolutely no better than when I got there.
Worse maybe cause when I got there all that hurt was my chest.
Now my arm hurts too.
Perhaps I am just an asshole, but maybe I would just like my health care provider to hear what I am saying and not just push drugs on me "until it passes"
2 comments:
Oh Cassie. You poor sweet thing. I'm SO relieved to hear that you're okay. The healthcare system is fucked and it's not going to get any better in the near future. With that said, I'm just glad a whacked up arm and a sore chest are the extent of today's problems. Maybe they'll have their shit together for you when you really, really need it.
You poor thing. I know today sucked, but you trooped along anyway. You're a great wife and mother. Thanks for all you do. Especially putting up with my piss poor attitude. I LOVE YOU.
Post a Comment