Ok So I am at a loss.
Why in the hell are people going bat shit crazy over the answer Miss California gave to the question asked her by Perez Hilton ?
In my opinion she didn't say anything wrong. Here's how it went down...
When asked by judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay gossip blogger, whether she believed in gay marriage, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, said "We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or oppose it. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."
So what's so wrong with that ?
I get that she didn't go the politically correct route here but she answered the question honestly in a forum that would have been easy to just go with the flow and give the answer that Perez wanted to hear.
She didn't gay bash or say that she thought gays were wrong or on the highway to hell. She just stated her opinion. That she doesn't believe in gay marriage.
While I believe in gay marriage or at least gay civil unions I also believe that people have the right to not think its ok.
By his declaring all out war on her for her beliefs that are not the same as his isn't he in fact inflicting on her and her beliefs the same "hate mongering attitude" he is blaming her of ?
I don't get it.
I understand that we should be tolerant of others beliefs and life choices but shouldn't others show us the same respect. .
I am straight.
I have been married since time began ( well since I was 16 anyway)
I have no problem with same sex marriage, I have no problem with same sex partners adopting children. But I do have a problem with people like Perez going on the news and bashing someone for stating her beliefs. Whether they believe the same as me or not I still respect their right to have those feelings.
I am not gay I have not met with the same ill conceived notions of others about my marriage. (well I did get a lot of shit from everybody for getting married so young) so I know that the statements don't effect me the same way that maybe they would a gay couple. But a lot of people say a lot of things and do a lot of things in this world that I don't agree with that go against the very core of my being but I feel that it is my responsibility as a person on this planet to accept other peoples thoughts and feelings whether they seem nuttier than a squirrel turd or not.
15 comments:
Hi, I saw your comment on Pam's blog and came over to see your post.
I like what you have to say, but more importantly, I like HOW you say it. It's not so important that everyone agree with me, but that they respect I have an opinion.....and I try to respect others.
While I do not agree with the backlash Ms. California is receiving, her statement is not accurate.
Unfortunately, we don't live in a world where as a gay person I can choose gay marriage or not.
I can't. It's not an option for me.
If it were, this would be a mute point.
I can choose to live with April.
I can't choose to marry her.
I can file a tax return.
I can't file a tax return with her.
I can go to a hospital.
I can't go INTO her hospital room with her. I'm not family.
In response to "B", I'm a gay woman who thinks Ms. California is entitled to her beliefs and I do think she's had some unfair backlash. However, your use of "these people" in reference to gays is quite offensive.
For me, the biggest issue here is that Miss CA was asked for her OPINION and she gave it - honestly. That took courage because she knew it would most likely cost her the crown. RESPECT is the key word here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one should force their opinion on anyone else or expect them to have the same opinion as themselves. Miss CA was ASKED her opinion and she courageously stuck to her convictions. That is admirable, whether you agree with her or not.
You opened a big 'ole can of worms over here today....
I think you made a very strong point and I agree with you whole-heartedly. Nicely done.
Hi Cassie, I linked your blog from mine, because I thought you did this so very well!
Have a wonderful day.
B is a little testy today. But I see she also deleted her original comment because she knows it was judgmental and inappropriate.
Oh -- and Heather, I do believe you used a bit of Aponex in your post! ROFLMAO! Do you know what it is????
Well said Cassie.
Well said.
I'm a non-blog person who started "stalking" as it's called, because B talked about Cassie. Have to say that her taking her comments off here has nothing to do with her thinking what she said was right or wrong, but more of a tell with her, like when you're playing cards. It's something she does when she's not planning on coming back to someone's blog. Just felt like filling you in on that one since you seem to assume more than you know.
Cassie, I'm with you on what you posted about here. I live somewhere where it is legal, and I don't approve of it myself but Miss California shouldn't be burned at stake for this. It seems it was one of those things where she couldn't win. Get roasted for saying what she really thought, or roasted for lying, because people in her personal life would know the truth. I applaud her for staying true to herself though it wasn't popular.
Jesminder
Ding dong the witch is dead.
Thanks for your visit. I've been overwhelmed by the traffic to my site generated by Vodka Mom.
And yes, Miss California, should be as vocal about her opinion as she wants to be. However she started out her answer by saying, "We live in a land that you can choose same sex marriage or opposite marriage." And I marvel at the wrongness of that statement. Same sex marriage is not a choice for most of the US because it's not legal. I think that misinformation more than anything got to me personally.
Keep up the writing. I'll come back for more. Hutch
Post a Comment