Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Big Dream

















Anyone who reads my blog knows that I am an animal person.
Animals hold a special place in my heart.
I work for a low cost spay neuter clinic that is also a no kill shelter.
I work for and volunteer at Young Williams Animal center as well.
The plight of homeless animals tears at my heart.
I believe that no animal should be beaten or abused, or tossed aside like yesterdays garbage.
Unfortunately I live in a part of the country where animal welfare is not a top priority.
People giveaway puppies at the Walmart with no regard to what type of home they are going to. The newspaper is filled with free puppy/kitten ads, because unaltered pets have had unwanted litters.
And what happens to those animals if no one responds to the ads ?
Most are simply put out either "in the country" or just left outside unconfined free to roam.
So the result of all of this is tons and tons of homeless animals roaming around in search of food and shelter.
Some are hit by cars, some starve, some pick up diseases that kill them, some are shot at because they wander into the wrong yard. Some are picked up and taken to the OVERFLOWING
shelters in the area where given their condition and temperament maybe placed for adoption.
But the truth is most will be euthanized because there are just to many of them.
So I am working on a plan to try and make an impact or at least take a small step toward solving the bigger problem.
I am working on trying to get a week in August set aside at Animal Works where we can offer FREE
spay/neuters to any Pit bull or Pit mix.
Why Pit bulls ?
Because our shelters are over run with them and because they seem to me to be the most common breed type I see that isn't altered.
They also seem to be really good breeders as I see tons of ads for them in the news paper and on CraigsList.
(Plus I have a special place in my heart for the breed, they really get a bad wrap.Did you know that Pit bulls for the most part test out better than border collies in temperament testing ? Bet you didn't)

So dear friends I am asking for your help.

My plans is to try and get local groups/companies to sponsor a spay/neuter. I want to get both newspaper and TV news coverage of the buildup and the actual event.

We have a grant at Animal Works now that maybe able to provide some funds, but the brunt of the event will fall on my being able to get sponsors.

Anybody have any ideas as to how I can get them ?

We can do 12-15 surgeries a day so we would hopefully do a total of 75 surgeries in that week.
The cost for a spay runs $62.75-$72.75 depending on the size of the dog

The cost for a neuter runs $51.75-$72.75 depending on the size.
I know the economy sucks right now but I am hopeful that people/groups will still be able to help.

So peeps rack your brains and help me come up with ways to get this thing off the ground :o)or if any of you want to help let me know, I can use all the help I can get.

Big Dreams I've got Big Dreams

5 comments:

Lucky Wife/Bookaholic said...

So the max you would need is about 6000.00... ok, so is there anyway youcoudl offer advertising to corporate sponsers? A goody bag of flyers, coupons, to each person that comes in? Say the paper offers to donate/sponser each person woudl go home with an ad for the paper... Ya following me?

Cassie said...

Yeah I plan to do as much as I can to promote the sponsors business and or name. I had planned to give away cards or whatnot to each person that got the free service stating who paid for their spay/neuter. If the sponsor wanted to also give me flyers, business cards, or brochures for their business I would be more than happy to pass those out as well. Shoot I could probably work it out for the sponsor to have someone their one day that week to promote their business at the pick up and drop off times. I will do anything I can to promote the sponsors and get them as much PR as I can.

Unknown said...

sounds like a great idea, cassie.

i must ponder.

are any of the vet's offering their services for free?

perhaps that is an avenue to go down.

ask if your clinic would allow volunteer veterinarian's to come in?...

andy

p.s. good for you and your motivation:)

mommakin said...

Man, I wish I had ideas - this is so far outside my area of expertise. I will keep my ears open and let you know if I come up with anything. Good luck to you, truly!

Anonymous said...

wow.. I dunno.. but this is a great idea.. I think that you could do whatever you put your mind to.. Do it big for these animals!

Good luck!