Friday, December 18, 2009

Holly Bloggy Bash day 5 Christmas traditions.

Photobucket



 
So today on the Holly Bloggy Christmas bash is favorite memory or tradition.
I decided to use a memory of my own childhood.
Each year at my house Christmas was a bit differnt from everyone elses'.
Think National Lampoons Christmas without all the in-laws.
My Dad LOVED Christmas and always had a child like wonder for the the whole Christmas season.
He loved everything from the tree and the decorations to the presents under the tree and the snow.
He especially loved those silvery icicle thingys. 

 
You know the ones that stick to everything and are still showing up under stuff in April.
He didn't thing the tree was complete without it being COVERED in those things.
I love them too but my mom hates them.
So it was always a bit of an ordeal when he wanted to cover the tree in them.
He always won out :o)
Another part of our Christmas tradition was that my mom insisted on listening to Elvis records while we put the ornaments on the tree.
We would listen to his Christmas album.


and when that one has played out she would switch over to his Moody Blue album.


I always thought that this was the coolest looking record EVER.
By the time this record was over we were usually done decorating.
We always waited til really close to Christmas day to put up our tree.
Mostly because we always had cats and they would make a mess of the tree so the shortest time it was up was the best.
For some reason cats like those icicle thingies almost as much as my dad :o)
So because it was close to the big date after the tree was up my dad would climb on the roof and set out treats for the reindeer.
Usually some carrots and oats.
Bless his heart her would also put rabbit pellets on the roof Christmas night so that it looked like the reindeer had stopped by and eaten their treats.
(Growing up around animals I always knew, what went in must come out, so I always expected that there should be "turds" up there if the reindeer stopped for anytime at all)
It's funny to think about all the trouble that he went through to make Santa that much more real for me.
I think it was partly for me but also for him.
It gave him the chance to help with the magic of Christmas.
I think missing him so much this time of year is the reason I have gone kinda overboard with my Christams stuff this year.
Some how decorating and spreading the Christmas magic makes him feel close by again.
Even though he has been gone 6 years I think this year has been really hard because this is the last year I think Megan is going to "go along with" the idea of Santa.
And with the closing of that chapter I feel like some of the magic is ebbing away as well.
I am trying hard to hang on to it though.....

So now I am off to cover my tree in icicles.


Happy Holly Bloggy Christmas Bash everyone.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I loved the icicles too. We do an artificial tree now, so no icicles.

My favorite holiday memory was from last year as my 2 year old waited patiently for hours, to open her gifts and never got greedy or out of control.

I love this time of year.

Over from SITS.

ann said...

My Grandmother loved those silver icicle things too. I still remember playing with them on her all blue and silver tree! Funny, I had forgotten about that until now, thanks for the memory! Over from SITS...great post!

TidyMom said...

We had that BLUE- Moody Blue album too! my mom was a HUGE Elvis fan!! I was just telling one of my daughters about that blue album just the other day - man I wish I still had that! LOL

Missing my dad at Christmas too, hard to believe this is our 7th Christmas without him!♥

Thanks for linking up!
Merry Christmas!

~TidyMom