is AMAZED and DUMBFOUNDED by people who think Haiti doesn't need our help!!! We can not control natural disasters or even which race, family, or country we are born into. As American's we should be happy that we are in a position to help. The shoe could be on the other foot. Would we want people to help us?
(this nugget was posted by a friend as her Face Book status)
Since I am a giant uneducated ass on my good days this post will probably piss off just about everybody.
But you know what, opinions are like assholes everybody has one and they usually stink.
So behold my asshole...
I mean my opinion.
Feel free to share yours and tell me how stupid, heartless, and uneducated I am.
Bring it,
because unlike some I can take it.
While I agree that Haiti needs help I am upset by the fact that everyone seems so gung ho to give, give, give, to Haiti but turn a blind eye to the people in our community that are being foreclosed on, have no electricity, and no food to feed their kids. We have kids in our community that are hungry. The only meal they get in a day is the one that they get at school. They get nothing on the weekends. These are not the children of parents who don't strive for better for their children, or parents that until recently could provide those things and more for their children. These are people that you see everyday, that are in serious need of help. People you know that are going without basic needs right here in America.
"As American's we should be happy that we are in a position to help."
if only this statement was true.
Perhaps this person lives in a different America than I do. I have friends who have lost jobs. Jobs that they have had for years with companies that were once strong and folks were proud to say they worked for. People that lived as most folks do pay check to pay check.
Working to make a better life for themselves and their families.
Proud people.
Honest hard working employees that have lost their livelihoods.
I am not sure that America in all her glory is in a position to take care of people around the world when her own economic structure is in the toilet.
So be amazed and dumbfounded by me because I believe that we need to take care of our own first and then do what we can for others after.
Also if the shoe was on the other foot I have little doubt that America would be left to solve her own crisis and take care of her own people.
I don't remember Haiti or any other country holding a telethon for the victims of Katrina or Andrew. I don't recall tons of volunteers from outside the U.S. rushing to help in the search for survivors or to render aide to those people affected by the attack on the World Trade Center.
I also understand that the situation in Haiti is dire and that the loss of life there is great.
I am not a cold hearted bitch.
Well maybe I am.
I understand that the people of Haiti need help.
I just wish that people wouldn't forget those that are in their "back yard" struggling.
1 in 50 Children in US is Homeless
In and out of classrooms, sleeping in shelters, shielded by parents, homeless children can seem invisible to society at large.
A national study released Monday finds that one in 50 children in America is homeless. They're sharing housing because of economic hardship, living in motels, cars, abandoned buildings, parks, camping grounds or shelters, or waiting for foster care placement.
"That is something that I don't think most people intuitively believe to be true," said Ellen Bassuk, an associate professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and president of the National Center on Family Homelessness.
The national center last did such a report 10 years ago, and numbers of children without a permanent place to sleep are growing.
Taken from this website but can be backed up all over.
Are these children less important than those in Haiti ?????
I sure as hell hope not.


10 comments:
I agree with you. I also agree that Haiti needs help, they do and I get that. But so does America. It's funny that you posted this today cause the Hubs and I watched "Pregnant and Homeless" last night. Can you imagine being 9 months prego and sleeping on the ground in a TENT?
America tends to turn a blind eye to our own, but tries to save the world. We as a people should be commended for that, but charity should start at home...and we can't ignore what on our own soil anymore. It's sad for both countries!
Stoppin by from SITS. kudos for posting this and after all that's what YOUR blog is for :)
I so agree with you. While I want to be able to help the victims in Haiti, I think of our own Americans here who don't have homes, food.
I wish our own celebs would be holding telethons for America's homeless and needy.
AMEN!
Yes, my heart breaks for those who lost everything, including loved ones, in the quake.
My heart breaks just as much for all of those people in our country going through difficult times. I would rather spend my money and time on those in my community and country. And I do, so I don't feel bad for not sending money to Haiti.
YOu hit the nail on the head.
The cliche "Charity begins at home" came about for a reason....
I've donated to Haiti relief efforts, and I support local efforts. I do what I can. Sadly I can't help everyone, and what I give will never be enough. Such is life.
It is sad that it often takes a disaster like what happened in Haiti to get people to help others, when people need help every day.
Here's the thing. I don't really want people NOT to give to Haiti. If you feel lead to do that than by all means do it. What chaps my ass about the whole thing is that people act like things here are peachy and that they don't need to help their neighbors. People who won't toss their spare change into the Salvation Army kettles or the literacy fund boxes, will dig under their couch cushions, clean the change out of their cars, empty change jars, have penny drives, and roll it to give to Haiti. I don't understand it. I agree that for most people to really open their eyes and see the suffering it takes a huge disaster. For those people cold and hungry living on the streets and shelters of your town, everyday is a huge disaster. Everyday people in America are cold, hungry, dirty and homeless. Sometimes because of no other reason than living pay check to pay check. I just can't tolerate it. I know that I can't fix the problem but I damn sure can make an impact somewhere along the way.
Dumb argument. There are social service agencies in the States that can assist Americans. All they have to do is ask for it. The Haitians don't have that luxury and their ENTIRE infrastructure was destroyed. Get a life.
I have a life Claude, and this is my blog so stick that in your juice box and suck it :o)
Hey when are you going to post again? It's me Megan by the way :)
Perhaps Claude should put his money where his mouth is.
If people can't even lend a hand to their neighbor, what good is it to send money off to a place thousands of miles away. Besides most of the money and supplies that are sent to other countries is loss due to corruption, skimming, among other things.
Like the saying goes, think globally, act locally.
Post a Comment