Sunday, May 31, 2009

Puttin on the Ritz....

The Ritz, located on Main Street across from the Anderson County Courthouse, was constructed during World War II under the direction of the War Production Board, which cited Clinton’s close proximity to Oak Ridge. When it opened in November 1945, it was called by many “the most modern theater in the South.” During the heyday of the motion picture industry of the 1940s and early 1950s, it hosted packed houses six days a week for all of the great movies of that era. As the movie industry dwindled during the late 1960s, so did the Ritz, and it closed it doors in 1969.
Theater goers in Clinton and the surrounding area were able to again enjoy the art-deco environs of the Ritz.In 1972, a country music show called “The Red Speeks Show” was started at the Ritz. At one time, Speeks hoped to present a show each Saturday night that would rival the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. The shows were even broadcast on local radio for a time. By 1987, however, the Speeks show had lost its luster and it faded into memory. In 2000 it was cleaned up, remodeled and reopened featuring movies and live performances. It was added to the National
Register of Historic Places in 1998.

I have no kidding been wanting to go to the Ritz Theater since I was a kid. We would pass the closed theater when we traveled into Clinton to go to Hammer's (cause as everyone around here knows you haven't been to Clinton if you haven't been to Hammer's). I remember that the old marquee still had the letters up for the Red Speeks Show but it had long ago closed it's doors. I was so happy when I heard a few years back that the Ritz was going to be cleaned up and reopened.

My chance had finally come to see a movie in the great old theater.

Well as much as I wanted to go we just for one reason or another didn't get there until last night.

OMG it was freakin awesome. It felt almost like stepping back in time. The art deco lobby is really cool. Funny to think how "uptown" this little theater was in it's day. We got our refreshments which were for a theater a great value. $3.50 for a large popcorn and $3.50 for a large drink. (They had smaller sizes available too.)

Oh did I mention that tickets are $5.00 for everyone.

So we head into the theater and to my delight discover that it has a balcony.

I run like a giant goober up the steps to the HUGE balcony and park myself on the front row right in the middle.

I sat there thinking about the people that had passed through here and sat in the seat I was sitting in. Probably a lot of locals, probably scores of Oak Ridge workers, school kids, teenagers on dates sitting in the balcony sneaking kisses.

I wondered as I sat there how many times popcorn had been tossed over the rail onto the movie goers below. What were they wearing ?

Did they walk or ride home in a car ?

What movie did they see ?

Places like this thrill my heart.

It felt to me like there was a lot of history in there. Not the kind of history that gets written about in text books but the history that makes up peoples lives the everyday history of everyday people.

As you can tell I was totally enamoured with the theater.

The movie was good but the theater was AWESOME.

We will most definitely be going back :0)

If you want to check out a show at the theater call the box office (865) 463-0440 to see whats playing and all shows times are 7:00 pm

I really wish that they would light up the front of the theater with all those little light bulbs. The bulbs are still there and for me that would complete it somehow.

Also if you are hungry before the show head over to Hoskins soda fountain right next door for a great meal and anoher awesome slice of local history.

And the banana splits are to die for. :-P


I got the historical info on the theater from here http://www.ornl.gov/info/reporter/no15/etd.htm
P.S. If anybody can tell me why all of a sudden words in my posts are underlined and linked to websites that I didn't link to please let me know so I can fix it. Thanks

1 comment:

mommakin said...

what an awesome experience!